Welcome to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs

State-Wide Homeless Counts

Program Description | Downloads & Related Links

Program Description

Working in conjunction with local Continua of Care and community-based partners throughout the state, DCA's "Every Georgian Counts" project is designed to develop and update homeless data for each of Georgia's 159 counties.  Every other year Continua of Care throughout the country are tasked with enumerating the sheltered and unsheltered homeless population on one night in January in order to get a snapshot of homelessness in the nation, states, and local communities.  Because of the volume of counties in the state of Georgia, it can be difficult to conduct this count in all counties.  To meet this challenge, since 2009, DCA has partnered with Kennesaw State University’s Burruss Institute to develop a statistical model for predicting unsheltered homelessness in each county in the state utilizing data collected in sample counties. The data collected from these sources, from other Continua of Care in the state, along with the data from the predictive model, DCA is able to create a report of homelessness in the State of Georgia.

2017 Homeless Count

The next unsheltered count will take place in January 2017.  If you wish to help, please contact your Continuum of Care representative or count coordinator for information!

Georgia's 14,000, 2015 Report on Homelessness

On the night of January 26, 2015 at least 13,790 people were literally homeless in Georgia a 19% decrease from 2013. Just 42% were unsheltered; the other 58% were in emergency or transitional housing.

Georgia’s Literally Homeless Population:
Single Night (Point in Time Count)

  Number of Individuals per Year
Housing Status 2011 2013 2015
Unsheltered 11,384 8,450 5,803
Emergency Shelter or Transitional Housing 8,492 8,497 7,987
TOTAL 19,876 16,947 13,790
Change from previous count (%) 6% -15% -19%


Read the 2015 report here. (PDF)

Previous Counts


Questions?  Please contact Katherine Arce by email or call (404) 679-3102.